Saturday, May 18, 2013

Gluten Free and Affordable?


When finding out you need to avoid gluten, you can definitely go broke too. Finding out the prices for "gluten free" stuff made my mouth drop! Especially since I'm not someone who makes a lot of money in the first place. So, I have searched online and found there's a lot of things you can make yourself. And even though it is a bit time consuming, once you get the hang of it, it becomes like second nature.

BREADS
If you have to buy, try Udi's. That's the best tasting one. The others taste so blah and cardboard-like.
If you like to make it yourself, get used to flat breads. I will add some recipes I have tried and liked. Or buy a bread maker. You just put in the mixed GF flour mix and viola! You have GF bread for less than 1/2 the price you'd buy it.


BAKING
If you love sweets as much as me, you will love my flour blend. I use it in almost every "regular" recipe that calls for wheat flour. It is very versatile and tastes great. But you can always experiment with your own and make your own favorite. Click on my Flour Mixes page for the All Purpose Flour for Baking recipe.
If you have to buy though, try Arrowhead Mills brand for boxed make it yourself mixes. They taste great!




No comments:

Post a Comment